Friday, March 17, 2006

We are at war - like it or not

I am one of the few Canadians (as far as I can see) that have supported the Iraq war since its inception. I sent an email to President Bush the night of the attack on Iraq thanking him as a Canadian for protecting us. We are at war, folks, and if you don't understand this... remember 9/11. Remember United Flight 93. Innocent people going about their daily lives, minding their own business, slaughtered. The terrorists have no qualms about this.. in fact, it is their goal.

I listen to those people who go on and on about how Bush lied. It is funny that they would trust that Saddam is honest and one of their own leaders lie. Don't get me wrong... I know about corruption... I have lived in Canada and been governed by the liberals for the last 12 years. I have seen people vote for corruption time and time again so I shouldn't be surprised that they would vote for Saddam over Bush. A monster who invaded Kuwait, used chemical weapons on thousands of his own people, and enjoyed placing people in wood chippers feet first. By all means, believe the monster.

So, although the Iraq war is complex and messy, I maintain that the war on terrorism is complex and messy. The new enemy is not a specific country but hordes of monsters infiltrating various countries. It is not the old days where the Soviet Union was the axis of evil and we could concentrate on that one country (although I am quite sure we are not finished with the possibilities there.) The war on terrorism is terrifying and I am quite sure many of us going about our own lives and minding our own business will be attacked over the coming years.
There is a very real enemy out there and regardless of our religious persuasions, sexual preferences, political view points, sex, etc... they have targeted us as their enemy.

I am glad that the US attacked Iraq for the following reasons:

  1. I believe Saddam had programs for WMDs without a shadow of a doubt. They were hidden and moved to Syria over months of games he played with the UN inspectors. Again, Saddam wouldn't lie, would he? Surely that is a republican trait, not a fascist trait.
  2. I believe that Saddam was in contact with Al Qaeda and supporting their endeavors (an enemy of of my enemy is my friend). Saddam hates the US and no doubt would have been creating a coalition with others who felt the same
  3. Saddam was in direct violation of many Gulf War UN sanctions and was well aware that the UN was ineffectual and was not following through. I had a parent in my office one day whose children were tearing apart my office. She repeatedly told the children she was going to call the police if they didn't settle down. They, of course, ignored her knowing this was not going to happen, and continued on. I think Saddam may be more intelligent than these children were.
  4. Saddam committed genocide with his own people and many atrocities. Some of you will say... well why didn't we step in in Rwanda? I don't know about the rest of you, but I would have stood by war on Rwanda for the same reason. Two wrongs don't make a right. We are talking about someone like Hitler here. These despots must be taken out. It is, however, stretching resources to make war and the place to start is with the despots that constitute a real threat to us. With all those people protesting this war, how can an administration ever commit to war on countries like Rwanda committing genocide without committing political suicide?
So, go about your life and enjoy your free speech to denigrate the US, the Iraq war, etc and be thankful you can. If the terrorists had their way, we would be decimated. I, for one, am grateful that the US is fighting this war and we are doing our part in Afghanistan. I, for one, am well aware there are real enemies out there fighting to destroy our way of life and consider us less than human. I, for one, know we are at war and it terrifies me. Iran is looming.

As time goes on, more proof of Saddam's intentions are coming to light. Some say that the reason the proof has taken so long to come to light is that these documents were kept from the public to avoid embarrassing Russia as we were dealing with them on Iran. Remember, there are larger politics out there than those between the democrats and the republicans. Remember that the real politics to be wary of are those of the world and perhaps Bush is concentrating on the bigger picture. I don't have the answers to how to fight this war in the future or where we go from here, but if we do not, we are doomed.

For further information and opinions on Saddam's intentions and what we are up against, click: ( I will add to this as I come across them)

2 comments:

Al said...

As I've said before, the WMD issue is a side issue in my mind as far as the invasion of Iraq goes. Although an important issue as it pertains to global security the invasion of Iraq had to happen because the U.N. was doing nothing. (and what they were doing is open to scutiny).
My beef is with the crowd who say the Iraqis should have been left to deal with their problems of mass murder, etc. This is the same crowd that bemoans the lack of "world conscience" with regard to the environment, and would like to bring in numerous laws to protect "unfair practices" within our borders, even to the point of restricting free speach because it might "offend" someone. Look at the pictures on SDA. I hope you can sleep at night.

Richard said...

Cheers!