Monday, June 25, 2007

Crime Pays

As in the previous post where I believe the victim mentality pays (with no positive results for society), it has become obvious to me that crime pays.

Last month, I heard on the radio that there were two major arrests in Calgary on the sale of credit card skimming devices over the internet. I'm listening to the news story on the radio about the first arrest and the news announcer states that this is the 4th time the perpetrator has been arrested on similar but less serious charges THIS YEAR. What is going on in our court systems in Calgary? Shouldn't the second conviction THIS year (considering it was May of THIS YEAR) have resulted in incarceration for the rest of THIS YEAR, or, at the very least, the third!!!?

Aside from that, one of my pet peeves is doing work over again. I feel for the Calgary Police who are arresting criminals over and over again and the perpetrators simply walk out and continue their crimes. Unbelievable.

2 comments:

Al said...

I took a half day off work one time to give evidence in a case in which I was a witness. When the defence lawyer saw that I was present in the courthouse he talked his client into pleading guilty. There were six charges including driving under the influence, refusing a breathalizer, driving without a licence, driving an unregistered motor vehicle, and POSSESSION of STOLEN PROPERTY. Since the accused claimed no money to pay the fines he was sentenced to 30 days in jail for each crime to be served CONCURRENTLY on week-ends-----Sat mornings starting at 9:00AM to Sunday evening at 6:00 PM. This amounted to 15 week-ends of free room and board and watching a television that he probably didn't have in his own residence. Thirty days of community service would have been better. At least garbage would get picked up!

michie said...

I agree Lanny, something is very wrong there...