Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Universal Values

I just listened to a debate in Britain about "western" values versus other values. At first I thought it was about this difference but it appears the debate was about ASSERTING "western" values against other values.
If you have alot of time and are questioning yourself on this issue, it is well worth it.

A commenter pointed out that the values discussed are, in fact, universal values, and the west has adopted them. I would agree with that. I am disheartened when people state that these "universal values" are not for everyone. Values like freedom of religion, equality of sexes, etc are universal values. We should all really question ourselves if only certain people deserve these values and basic rights and how far we should go to ensure they do.

One of the questions to be considered is the term "value". For example, if I value equality regardless of religion as well as valuing freedom of religion, does that mean that Sharia law is valid for women because it is their religion? I would argue absolutely not because it transgresses universal values.

The other term bandied about in the debate is asserting. Does asserting always mean violence or does it simply mean defending AND, if we do not defend, then are we on a path to being overrun by other values? Along those lines, I often think of countries like neighbors. If my neighbor is beating his wife, do I let that pass because it is permitted in their religion? If I call the police and they do nothing, where and when do I step in? If females are not equal in another country, do I step in and assert my values? How far should I take it? These are questions I have examined and discussed with many people over the years and struggle. Do universal values of freedom and equality trump a neighbor's "way of life" or a country's "way of life" and how do you defend that to yourself. I, for example, would have stood by interfering in Iraq AND Darfur without UN approval. (I don't believe you can stand by interfering in Darfur without UN approval without standing by Iraq as well but that's another long debate for another day.)

Additionally, if you truly believe in universal values for everyone and realistically it is not feasible to interfere everywhere, how do you pick and choose. We each decide what we can and cannot live with... what do you tell yourself? Keep in mind that a question about level of interference is something to think about and what do you tell yourself?. Are you okay with your neighbor's wife or wives being beaten for many years while you discuss it or while the police don't do anything about it?

Here's another question I read the other day and it is a loaded question. I value democracy however, if a majority of Canadians wanted to vote in a government that believed in Sharia law which transgresses universal values of freedom or equality, what happens then? Has democracy failed for me?

These are all questions I wrestle with throughout my life and often on my blog. Although the UK debate doesn't touch on some of these things, it is worth the listen to get you thinking...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/

No comments: